Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wild weather

~12 miles today. "Only" ran 1hr 50min. We left the Y downtown in the rain, ran over the Burrard Bridge and along the sea wall out to Spanish Banks. There's a giant anchor along the path and that was our turn-around point. I felt like we were running fast today, but we've got 2 guys with fancy gadgets that measure pace that said we were right on.

Running along Cornwall on our way out we had rain, wind, snow and sleet. We discovered as we turned around at the anchor that we'd had the wind at our backs the whole way out. It was blustery and cold by the water. We were all soaked and glad to be heading back. My feet had been squishing in my shoes since early in the run. I was happy to be warm even though my clothes were pretty soaked. On the way back I commented that at least it hadn't hailed! It couldn't have been 10 minutes later that the hail started. Running along Cornwall with the wind blowing hail in our faces was quite an experience. The ridiculousness of the situation was distracting and soon enough we were coming back over the bridge into downtown.

I felt pretty strong going back over the bridge and thought it may have been because I took two gels today. I usually only take one after about an hour or so. Today I took one after 40 minutes, then another one 40 minutes later.

I only ran once last week so I was happy with how the run today went. Have to get better at these weekday runs. My legs are tired now, but not sore. Knees feel good too. We went snowshoeing yesterday and I was a bit worried I would be tired today, but everything was good!

1 comment:

nicole said...

We've been lucky with weather so far... I think we made up for it today. I mean, hail?? Gee wizz...
And I think we were fast too, but that's ok. I'm looking forward to another long one on Thursday :)