Monday, January 14, 2008

Say no to injuries

I had a sore foot on Saturday on the bottom of my right foot between my arch and my heel. Felt like a cramp or a pulled muscle. I nearly didn't run on Sunday because I didn't want to make it worse. To test it out, I decided to run down to the Y. If it was bad, I'd just head home. But it seemed the more I ran the less it hurt so I decided to join the group continue on. Now, I thought that last week our leader said we were going to be running in the Kitsilano/Kerrisdale direction so running down to the Y would be perfect because instead of heading back downtown at the end of the run I could just come home.

We start running and we're heading east out of downtown so I ask "where are we running today?" The answer: "Central Park." Yes, the Burnaby Central Park - totally the opposite direction. Oh well. We followed the skytrain line the whole way - there's a nice path underneath for most of the way. It's all uphill though and my legs were burning and getting very tired - good hill training! At least my foot was fine though, and coming home was all downhill. This run wasn't as fun without Nicole. It was just me and 5 guys in the 40-70 year age group. :) When we got to the Main St station at Science World I left the group to head home along the south side of the False Creek seawall.

Downtown to Central Park and back downtown again is 14 miles (the schedule had us doing 13-15). My extra run down to the Y added on 2 miles so I was already at 14 miles when we got to Science World. I ran another 10 minutes to make it 15 miles and walked the rest of the way home to cool down. Actually worked out pretty well because I'm not stiff at all today and I think the walking helped stretch out my legs. So 15 miles, 2hrs 30min - the longest run so far! And no rain!! I was very tired and very hungry when I got home. Had a wonderful hot shower and a delicious breakfast and then a fantastic nap.

I think my foot was maybe sore because I did too much last week. I'm going to try to take it a bit easier this week. My IT band was a bit sore at times too so I'm going to get that worked on this week. Ouch! The treatment is often more painful than the injury itself!

No comments: