Sunday, January 20, 2008

I love Vancouver because....

The scenery is so beautiful - snow-capped mountains, ocean, beaches. The city sparkles and shines on days like today.

The people are friendly and active - there were so many people out this morning on the seawall and so often when we'd pass another group of runners they would all say hello. Runners, walkers, people with dogs, people with kids, people rowing, people kayaking, even people waiting for the bus with snowshoes and snowboards. How can you not go outside on a day like today??

Anyway, we ran 13 miles today. Out to the anchor and back - same route as a couple weeks ago when it rained/snowed/hailed. Sure was different weather today! I was distracted the whole way by the mountains that looked so beautiful with fresh snow and the sun shining down. From the Tantalus mountains in Howe Sound all the way east past Seymour... so gorgeous! Makes me very eager to get back out there to do some hiking and take some photos which might be sooner rather than later now that I've got some fancy crampons!

I was tired today and I felt slow and my legs felt heavy. I got better towards the end of the run, but the beginning was tough. I just couldn't find the rhythm. I took a gel about 40 minutes in and then half a gel about 40 minutes later and I really noticed the effect. Not sure if I was dehydrated, whether it was the Afghani food we had for dinner last night or the fact that I hadn't run all week until yesterday when I went out for 3 miles.

I have a bit of a headache now and I think it's from not drinking enough water today. Have to get better at drinking more water. Anyway, a good run overall - they are always good once they are over and done with. :) Looking forward to a week of sunshine... hope you get to enjoy it too!

1 comment:

nicole said...

It was a lovely run. I was tired too, but the sun helped :) I think we'll see a lot more running groups now that official training season has started. I'm looking forward to our runs this week.