Thursday, December 27, 2007

DVDs and books

For those of you who haven't heard of the Planet Earth BBC series, you should really check it out. We've watched several episodes in the past couple weeks and then the Landos just got the dvd set for Christmas so we've watched a couple more. They gave us the Blue Planet series and it is amazing too. Wonderful cinematography and amazing scenery and wildlife shots. So interesting!!

I've been reading the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and I highly recommend it. The middle section on sustainable organic farming makes me want to go buy land and try to live off it as much as possible in an eco-friendly way. I've been reading pretty solidly the past few days and devouring page after page. It's late and I don't really have the brain-power to get into too much detail right now, but it's really opened my eyes to conventional industrial and industrial organic farming and has given me a lot to think about. I will post more later on the topic. We got the sequel - In Defense of Food - for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to reading it. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

No comments: