Sunday, February 17, 2008

11 weeks to go

A blast on Blackcomb
Had an awesome day skiing at Blackcomb on Friday after spending the night in a super cool room at the Hilton. It snowed all day and I think it was my best day skiing this year. I've been renting skis and have been very impressed with the quality of the rentals both at Big White and Whistler. This time they were freshly waxed, wide, and curvy skis. We skied the Blackcomb glacier and although there was zero visibility it was my favourite part. Surrounded by white, hardly able to see the tips of your skis, but floating on powder and it's soft all around you. It was fun. Ran into some traffic about 30 minutes south of Whistler that turned out to be quite a serious accident that closed the highway for the next 7 hours or so. We tried to make the best of it and were completely exhausted when we got home way past the middle of the night.

Fort Langley Historic Half Marathon (21.1km/13.1 miles)
Watched the sunrise as we left for the race this morning. Cold and clear. Started out feeling good and enjoying the scenery. Ran through foggy farmland with beautiful mountain views. Big hill. Through a nature conservancy with donkeys, wild dogs and other assorted animals. Another hill. Residential Walnut Grove. The Hill. Then 2 big downhills and flat to the finish. I got really tired around 15km but started feeling better around 18km (so close!). Not sure of my official time yet but it was around 2:10. I wanted to finish in under 2 hours - better luck next time!

Training
Ran twice last week. 5 miles in the sun on Wednesday, 3 miles Thursday. Good cross-training on Friday (skiing)! I think I may incorporate some hills into my training. The hilly runs we've done and the hills in the race today really tired me out. 11 weeks until the marathon!!

No comments: