Tuesday, June 12, 2007

day 4

today for the first time, i put my feet behind my head. it was exciting. to begin this morning, john led us through a tibetan mediation practice. it was very relaxing and the cloud of sleep that still hung over my brain made it easier to clear my thoughts.

we then started our morning practice, going at our own paces - more like a mysore-style class, rather than the led classes we've had in the previous morning sessions. i got a few great adjusts and then it was time for kurmasana (turtle pose). i've only just recently been able to clasp my hands behind my back for supta kurmasana (sleeping turtle). today, just as my fingers caught one another john came and helped. he had me relax my hips and as he lifted each leg and placed my feet behind my head i was able to squirm my shoulders further under my knees. my feet were hooked behind my head and he raised me up so my legs pointed up to the ceiling and i was looking straight ahead. from there i planted my hands and lifted up into tittibhasana (firefly). then john said "head down, bottom up!". i swung around and with his help suddenly i was in a handstand. it was exhilarating! he helped me lower into plank and then i was back through my vinyasa and into the next pose.

~

this afternoon john spoke about some of his experiences with guruji (Sri K Pattabhi Jois' students address him as guruji). i like hearing these stories. i always enjoy it when fiona (my teacher here in vancouver) talks of her visits to india. john said that when guruji is adjusting someone, he holds their body like a musical instrument, as if they are dancing together. fiona often has said that when she's adjusting someone, she looks to see where the prana is leaking out, where things may be kinked or hardened. there is a fluidity and grace to the practice that becomes much more obvious when the breath and energetic alignment come first. no forcing or overexerting.

in our practice this morning, john kept reminding us to take rest (go into closing and then into savasana) when we lost our focus. you are more likely to injure yourself when you aren't fully present. breath comes first - john said "observe the breath, focus on the breath, fixate on the breath."

to finish off this afternoon, after "dancing" with our partners and giving a couple adjustments, we did some pranayama (breath exercises). it was very calming and energizing at the same time. i think i actually dozed off in savasana at the end today, it was wonderful.

No comments: