Monday, March 31, 2008

So long March, thanks for all the fish

End of the month already. How time flies! This has been a very busy month. The Easter weekend was jam packed with fun. Spent Tuesday preparing for another mini holiday and took off early Wednesday for the island again. Spent 2 nights in Ucluelet and it was wonderful. Yoga in the mornings looking out at the ocean where whales were spouting and a run along the Wild Pacific Trail. Delicious food, good books and lots of relaxing.

Went surfing on Thursday and had a blast. It was my second attempt and I was able to stand up several times. I never thought I'd like surfing but I really can't wait to go again. And again and again. I'm really looking forward to trying in Hawaii. It was mighty chilly on the beach for our lesson but once in the water I warmed right up. There was snow on the beach and it hailed while we were out in the water. Crazy weather! We had a few hailstorms mixed with sun, cloud a bit of rain...

Friday we went to Tofino to the Long Beach Lodge for a wedding and it was amazing. One of the best weddings I've been to from the location right down to the tiny details. Definitely one to remember. Our room was spectacular - king size bed, huge soaker tub and an amazing view looking out to the beach and ocean. The weather cleared right up and we had beautiful blue skies for the last two days.

Drove up to the ferry terminal and right onto the ferry to get home. I was dropped off at Nicole's and we headed out for the longest run we've done so far. Here is a map of the route we took:



It was so long! The weather was beautiful though and I felt fine until we were leaving Stanley Park. I started getting really tired and sore - mostly my feet. It was such a relief to reach Science World and start heading for home. We walked the last mile to cool down. The map shows 22.5 miles but I think I may have cut some corners when creating it because I'm pretty sure it was closer to 24. We basically ran a marathon which is only 2.2 miles farther. Yikes! I took 5 gels, about 40min apart. We were so hungry by the end... that's what happens when you run from 4-9pm and miss dinner. Thankfully our wonderful husbands had made pizza and when we walked in the front door it had just come out of the oven and smelled so good!!

All in all it was a very long day and I collapsed into bed after a hot bath with a Marathon bubble bar from Lush. Mmm, cinnamon and mint. Very soothing for tired muscles. I feel ok today, tired but not too bad. My legs are very tired but I don't think the stiffness has quite set in yet. I can still walk down stairs and my knees feel fine - they didn't hurt at all during the run. Next week is a short run (12-14 miles) and then we've got one more long one (22-26 miles). Two weeks of very short runs (10 miles, then 7 miles) and then it's the race!

1 comment:

nicole said...

That was a freaking crazy run. My feet hurt, and stairs are not my friends today. But, all in all, I'm feeling pretty good. Great job :) 12 miles next weekend will seem like nothing!