Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Arriving in Oaxaca (Wa-ha-ka)

Luke arrived this morning at 9am and checked into our hotel - the lovely Hotel Victoria which sits up on a hill and overlooks the city. I left Vancouver last night at 11pm and flew to Toronto. Left Toronto this morning at 9am and arrived in Mexico City just after noon. Had a lengthy stay in the airport where I was able to dig into a new book (more about that later) and finally left for my last leg to Oaxaca at 5:45pm. Got to the aiport where I was hoping to see Luke, but unfortunately he had mixed up his time zones. Oops! I was able to get myself a taxi and 30 minutes later I was relieved to be showering off the travel grime in our lovely villa.

Had an absolutely wonderful night. 4 of us went for a walk down to the Zocalo (literally "town square"), which is where everyone seems to congregate. The city streets are beautiful and the churches amazing. I'm really looking forward to spending some time walking around and exploring. We met up with a friend of the retreat organizer who has been living here for many years and had a wonderful dinner and fantastic conversation. We started off with the mezcal blanco and some grasshoppers. For dinner I had prawns with mole and Luke had the tuna special. Enjoyed a 2nd type of mezcal, some more exciting discourse and then onto dessert... coconut flan and "chocolate" (hot chocolate, Oaxacan style). Amazing. Wish I had brought my camera but I'm sure there will be more opportunities.

Off to bed for now. Got a bunch of sleep to catch up on. Buenas noches!

No comments: